In a downpour, on Saturday, April 26, School on Wheels of Massachusetts (SOWMA) enjoyed an outpouring of support for the fourth annual Outrunning Homelessness 5K/2.6 Mile Race & Fun Walk. More than 600 caring souls with soggy soles came out to DCR's Borderland State Park in Easton to make the event an overwhelming success.
I want to answer some FAQ’s that I’m sure you all have as the event gets closer.
This year, the Outrunning Homelessness 5K Road Race and 2.6 mile Family Fun Walk has an added attraction.
The MOMS Club of Easton is proudly sponsoring the Kid Corner at the 2014 Outrunning Homelessness 5K Race and Fun walk.
The Kids Corner is free and will feature lots of fun and festive activities:
How do you make a great fundraising Race and Walk even better? If you’re the non-profit organization, School on Wheels of Massachusetts (SOWMA), you start by setting your goals higher every year. You do this because you know that every additional dollar raised translates into academic support for more children impacted by homelessness.
Are you on Facebook?
- Share the Outrunning Homelessness Event with your contacts.
- Please note - this is in NO way a registration - everyone will still need to register through the avenues outlined on our Website and in the most recent OH News Flash
- Follow ("Like") the School on Wheels of MA AND Outrunning Homelessness Facebook pages
- PLEASE- SHARE -our posts from these pages to help us spread the word about the work that SOMWA does, as well as the OH event
- Strike a Pose - Post pictures a few times a week (or as often as you are comfortable) of yourself out for a training run/walk. Tell your Facebook friends how excited you are to be involved in this event.
- Publicly Thank - your friends, colleagues, etc for contributing to your own Racewire or Crowdrise Fundraising efforts. (Include the link to your own fundraising page so more folks will follow suit)
- Shout out to SOWMA Sponsors - Our sponsors are the BEST- Let your Facebook friends know how much you appreciate SOWMA sponsors for how they are helping us Outrun Homelessness. (tag the company if you know how)
- Consider updating your status once a week with something re: SOWMA.
- Need ideas on what to post? Visit and Follow the School on Wheels of Massachusetts Business Page
- Share ourmost recent newsletter with your email contacts. A personalized message from you to your family, friends and colleagues can go a long way in spreading our message.
- Here is the link to use: http://bit.ly/OH-2014-Flash
- Consider adding our links to your e-mail signature
Outrunning Homelessness 2014
Great Question, Tony - Here is more information on the Outrunning Homelessness Race and Walk Courses.
Both courses will begin at the Ames Mansion of DCR’s Borderland State Park. The course is a loop consisting of mixed flat and hills. The trail is unpaved.There will be dirt and some rocky patches.
The Outrunning Homelessness 5K (3.10 miles)
The Outrunning Homelessness 2.6 mile Family Fun Walk
Dear Community Partner,
School on Wheels of Massachusetts has been providing academic support services for children impacted by homelessness for more than 10 years, now. We have tutored and mentored nearly 1,800 children and provided almost 6,000 backpacks to children living in shelters and motels. Please join us to make a difference for homeless students by being a sponsor for our 6th Annual “Outrunning Homelessness Race and Fun Walk” to be held on Saturday, April 30, 2016 9am at DCR’s Borderland State Park in Easton.
We are extremely grateful to have Crescent Credit Union as our Anchor Sponsor for the fourth year in a row. One hundred percent of the proceeds from this event provide backpacks, school supplies, books, tutoring, mentoring, and college assistance for our kids.
Over the past four years, our event has grown from 150 participants to 600. Be a part of this exciting community event and help us end homelessness, one student at a time through educational support services and mentoring.
Here are some of the ways you can make a difference for our kids:
$2,000 Site Team Sponsor
Site Team Sponsorship directly supports SOWMA programming located in your own community, for your neighbors. You will have special t-shirts to wear on race day to call out your partnership with our kids. Your company name and logo will be featured on key signage at the finish line, on the back of our race shirt, and also displayed on our website with a link to your site. You will receive 12 race/walk registrations and 12 shirts.
$1,500 Water Stop Sponsor
This is a sponsorship opportunity to own signage for a water stop. Your company name and logo will be featured on the back of our race shirt, and displayed on our website with a link to your site. You will also receive 12 race/walk registrations and 12 shirts. (Limit 2)
$1,500 Shirt Sleeve Sponsor
Your company logo will be prominently placed on our race shirt sleeve, and displayed on our website with a link to your site. You will also receive 12 race/walk registrations, 12 shirts, and key signage at the finish line. (Limit 6)
$750 Lead Sponsor
Features your company name and logo on the back of our race shirt, displayed on our website, and signage at the event.
$250 Shirt Sponsor
Features your company name or group name on our race t-shirts.
Spread the Word
Display our flyer and tell others about our event. Put our event on your website and Facebook© page.
Your support makes a true difference for our students and their education!
Founder and Executive Director
Run the Race ~ Walk the Walk ~ for our Kids!
5K Run or 2.6 Mile Walk
Saturday, April 29th
DCR Borderland State Park
8 a.m. Registration ~ 9 a.m. Start
DCR Borderland State Park
259 Massapoag Ave. Easton, MA 02356